Monday, June 1, 2009

The Luxery of Ceiling Fans and Other Misguided Desires

This may sound like a bit of a broken record, but I'm really wanting to get back into this blog a bit. We'll see how I do.

Pastor Mike gave a really good sermon on Sunday about the Psalms. He was actually introducing the first of several sermons based on the Psalms. It's not up on the web yet. But if you go here and look for the sermon dated 2009.05.30, you'll be in the right place. It should be up in the next day or two I'd guess.

Anywho, Pastor always makes several great points during his sermons. One that really stuck with me is how beautiful the Psalms are. I have to admit, I've tried to dig into Psalms several times, with this anticipation of how great they are supposed to be. But then, I just can't get into it. Which stinks, because I'd really like to get into them. So, I'm giving it another shot.

This is actually the segway into my real points of this blog.

Expectations. We all have them. Growing up, like most every little child I've ever met, my expectations were usually pretty high. I'd like to believe I was an optimist. I think I still am, actually, by most accounts. Sometimes my expectations we met or exceeded, and other times not at all. Typical stuff. The thing that's getting me right now, at this point in my life, is how even when my expectations are met or exceeded with something, I tend to milk it so much that the thing I was enjoying so much no longer meets my expectations.

Here is a good example. I happened across this video a while back.



This video is just so beautiful on so many levels. Musically. Lyrically. And just watching God be so present in what is happening. I feel like I can see see this so clearly just by the expression on David Crowder's face. It's a beauty I can't describe. So what do I do...I sit and play it over and over and over again until I can't see the beauty as it once was. I just saturate myself to the point that I'm actually numb to everything else around me as well.

Back to Pastor's sermon. He talked about taking your time when you read the Psalms, to just be bathed in them. I am not good at this. Taking my time, just letting God lead the way. It has to be on my time, my terms. I feel so much better when I turn everything off, and just soak up the silence. Be present in God's word in the Bible, or in the other aspects of His creation.

I was sitting on my couch a couple of days ago, before Pastor's sermon actually. I was feeling a little warm, so I turned on my ceiling fan. I just sat there, windows open, ceiling fan on, everything else turned off. I just stared at my ceiling fan for a while, felt the cool breeze slowly sweep over me. It was heavenly. I just sat there, thinking "I can't believe someone was so awesomely inspired as to invent this luxurious invention known as the ceiling fan." Seriously, I just thought it was the most luxurious thing one could own, this thing that keeps you cool when you get too hot. I felt comfortable and blessed. Once I sat and enjoyed the fan for a few minutes, I went on to get some work done. And it wasn't too stressful or anything. I just did it. It was fine.

My point: enjoy all of God's blessings, no matter how big or small they may seem. Sounds easy enough, but it is SO HARD for me to do. But I have been encouraged by these events. So much so as to blog about it. As soon as I'm done with this blog, I'm going to turn on some more Jars music, sit in the dark for a bit, and then read some Psalms. Life is pretty good, I must say.

No comments: