Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trust Part II

A friend of mine from my Wisconsin days visited me the other day. He was on his way through to Colorado to officiate a wedding of a mutual friend of ours. Part of our ropes course clan. It was great to see him. It had been way too long, as these things are prone to be.

One of the most powerful things about the ropes course experience is the level of trust that is needed to do it. You are literally putting your life in the hands of others. Let me tell you, you bond quickly out there under those conditions. That is one of the main points of doing a ropes course: to grow in your trust.

My lack of trust has been exposed to me again lately. I just got a new puppy, seen here


With all of my training in psychology, doing homework on the subject of dogs, and watching tons of the Dog Whisperer :), this little guy has been a handful. On the surface, I feel like it exposes my lack of patience. And it does. Mostly with myself of course. But if I look at it deeper, it is most definitely a lack of trust. Not trusting myself to do a good job. Or, perhaps more importantly, not trusting myself to fail.

This all points toward my lack of ability to put my full trust in God. I know, that sounds like a leap. It's not just the dog thing. Or a ropes course thing. Part of the sermon in church today focused on putting your faith in God, turning your life over to him. I feel like I've been able to do that at times, but full surrender? Nope. Scares the jeepers straight into, or out of, me. Not sure which was that goes. But whatever it is, I have it.

Pray for trust. I want to keep exploring this. I am surrounded by opportunities all day to trust or not trust. Sadly, I more often than not pick the latter. I would like that to change though. I need to start with tonight.

Deep breaths....

Relax...

Faith...

I want and need liberation. That sounds nice, right? I think it sure does.

No comments: